Sunday 5 October 2008

keypad lock on s60

S60 3rd Ed FP1 support keypad autolock. To configure it, open Settings > General > Security > Phone and SIM card > Keypad autolock period, and set your time out period. However, this autolock only work when your phone is in the idle screen, the screen you make calls. If you leave your phone in application view, the phone won't autolock your keypad. Thus, the phone might do strange things because of keypad mis-pressed.

That's why S60 users need a 3rd party's keypad autolock program. But I'm not going to recommend any program, as I just finished one for my company. What I'm going to discuss is how to use both phone's and 3rd party's keypad autolock programs.

Assume your 3rd party keypad lock program works when in application. Set it to some 1 minute to 5 minutes timeout would be great enough. So it won't affect you when you are using your phone and application. But you might wish the phone autolock quicker when you are not using it. That's why some people like flip phones. Since the system's autolock only work in idle screen, set it to 10-30 seconds would be good, especially if you seldom use the Active Standby in the idle screen. This settings work great to me because if I put the phone into idle screen, I am not going to use it for a while. Feel free to try yourself. You can always disable it if you don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: