Wednesday 19 December 2007

No more Mac vs Windows

An article from the blog of Don McAllisters (founder of ScreenCasts Online) - "I’ve Given Up Arguing with Windows Users Too!". Hey, Don McAllisters, you are great! After switching to Mac...

* I enjoy using a computer again
* I don’t worry too much about virus and malware attacks (without being too blase)
* I don’t have any performance issues
* Mac software is plentiful, beautiful, well designed and incredibly inexpensive.
* There’s no problems sharing files with Windows users.
* I can run Windows if I really want too (but don’t)


I can't agree no more!

Running the latest Mac OS X (Leopard) on my 1 year old machine (C2D 2GHz, 2GB DDR2) is a lot of pleasure than with the latest Windows OS, which you get pressure. At least, no performance issue make you feel you are enjoying what you paid for (and won't hearing the computer screaming for hardware upgrade, which eventually will be more than purchasing a XP professional license).

Is there any disadvantage on Apple's computer? Yes. The Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse! They drain new battery within 3 months. And my keyboard just stop functioning in the middle of this post. Now, I've to use the compact, unfamiliar Logitech NetPlay Keyboard, which not give me typo but wrong action (such as suddenly deleted my text or do a forward delete when I try to press arrow-up key).

Buy Mac advice (if you prefer wireless):

1. go with the wired keyboard and mouse. this is the backup solution for your wireless kb ms. check out Logitech's wireless mouse and keyboard for Mac (approx. HK$650), OR try other cheaper PC keyboard and mouse but you less able to take advance of Mac's shortcut keys.

alternatively,

2. go with Apple's wireless keyboard and mouse. buy a lot of rechargeable battery and to be expect that they will die in 1 or 2 year. you won't able to fully drain the battery before you need to replace/recharge them.

No comments: