Sunday 25 November 2007

WhatSize help to locates large files

"WhatSize is a simple tool that allows the user to quickly measure the size in bytes of a given folder and all subfolders and files within it. You would be surprised at how many useless files might be laying around on your hard disks. The files and folders are automatically sorted by size, with the biggest sizes first." - ID-Design, Inc.

Although Finder allows to display the size of a folder, this feature is not turn on by default to reduce unnecessary I/O access. This software, WhatSize, will do a calculation on whichever folder you select, for one time. It helps me to locate the largest folder, and eventually locate some unnecessary repeated files which take up quite a lot of space. For example, it shows me that I've made several backup copy of my RS-MMC memory card for my Nokia N70 (left figure).

No comments: